1. Do I have to pay GST on my Motor Insurance?
GST on motor insurance premium will be charged at 6% from 1 April 2015.
2. Period of Insurance for my Motor Policy is from 30 March 2015 to 29 March 2016. Will the Insurance Company charge me for GST for the period from 1 April 2015 to 29 March 2016?Especially since the Insurance Company has included a notice on GST on my policy.
For Motor Insurance this depends :
- If you pay your premium before 1 April 2015, you do not need to pay GST from 1 April 2015 to 29 March 2016.
- If you pay your premium from 1 April 2015 onwards (irrespective of period of insurance) GST will be charged.
Please note that at this juncture, Customs has not officially advised of this relief from GST. To be on the safe side, it would be better to pay your premium before 1 April 2015.
3. Then can I extend my policy perpetually so that I don’t have to pay GST?
GST will be charged for extensions after 1st April 2015.Anyway, it is not advisable since your Motor Policy should be aligned with your Road Tax Expiry.
4. What happens if I decide to increase my policy coverage mid term?
If the effective date of the increase in policy coverage is from 1 April 2015, GST will be charged on the additional premium.
5. If I sell my car and cancel the motor insurance policy, will MSIG refund my premium together with the GST?
Yes, only if GST has been charged and you have paid the GST amount, we will refund the premium and GST. No GST refund, if there is no GST charged with the initial premium.
6. If I transfer my NCD from Car Number ABC 1234 to Car Number XYZ 789, what happens to the GST?
GST will be charged accordingly on Car Number ABC 1234 and XYZ 789.
7. Do I pay GST on premium for the extension to Kalimantan and Thailand cover?
8. If I reinstate my windscreen cover on or after 1 April 2015, do I have to pay GST on the premium?
9. Is GST chargeable on additional perils for example flood?
10. Do I pay GST if I purchase my motor insurance from a non-GST registered agent?
GST is chargeable irrespective of the GST status of the Agent.
GST is charged on the motor insurance and collected by the Insurance Company on behalf of Customs.
11. Life insurance is exempted from GST. Do I pay GST if I purchase my motor insurance via a life agent?
Motor insurance is a general insurance product. Hence you will need to pay GST on your motor insurance premium.
12. What does MSIG do with the GST I’ve paid?
MSIG collects GST on behalf of Customs Department & pays to Customs on monthly basis.
13. What about Stamp Duty?
MSIG collects Stamp Duty on behalf Inland Revenue Department & pays Inland Revenue.
14. Is there any GST on the Stamp Duty?
No. Stamp Duty is a government tax and is not subject to GST.
15. When I renew my car insurance, the sum insured should include or exclude GST?
It should include GST.